Masks are no longer required indoors in California, with a few exceptions. But they are still strongly recommended.
On this page:
When to wear a mask
These are the statewide guidelines for masks. Your local area may require masks where the state doesn’t. Check your area’s COVID-19 website.
- Healthcare settings
- Emergency shelters
- Jails and prisons
- Homeless shelters
- Long-term care
- Public transit, stations, terminals, and airports
- Indoor public settings
- K-12 schools
Learn more in Guidance for the Use of Face Masks.
Upgrade your mask
When cases are on the rise or your risk is higher, increase your protection by upgrading your mask.
- Double mask
- Fitted surgical mask
- Surgical mask
- Cloth mask with 3 or more layers
Whatever mask you wear, make sure it fits to your face closely and without gaps.
The following individuals are exempt from wearing masks at all times:
- Children under two years old, due to the risk of suffocation
- A medical condition,
- Mental health condition, or
Disability that precludes wearing a mask. This includes:
- Those for whom a mask could obstruct breathing
- Who are unconscious or incapacitated
- Unable to remove a mask without help
People for whom seeing the mouth is essential for communication:
- Hearing impaired, or
- Those communicating with a person who is hearing impaired
People for whom wearing a mask would create a risk as they work, as determined by:
- Local, state, or federal regulators, or
- Workplace safety guidelines
Read more about mask exemptions at Guidance for the Use of Face Masks.
Masking at work
Cal/OSHA has issued the following mask requirements.
Masks are strongly recommended indoors
- In outbreaks, wear masks indoors and outdoors when you can’t maintain six feet of distance
Masks are not required outdoors (except during outbreaks)
- Workers should train for outdoor use of face coverings
Employers must provide unvaccinated employees with NIOSH-certified respirator masks for voluntary use when:
- Working indoors, or
- In a vehicle with others
For more information, see: