Mobile COVID-19 Clinics are providing vaccines and test kits to uninsured individuals. For current and additional locations, dates and times, visit Othena.com or call (800) 564-8448.
State of CaliforniaVisit: myturn.ca.gov/testing
Sick.org/OCVisit: sick.org/oc to get tested on-site or at-home.
Latino Health AccessCall: (714) 805-7838
Find additional testing information by visiting the sites below:
Testing is recommended:
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19, whether or not you are vaccinated.
- If you don't have symptoms but have a known COVID-19 exposure or exposure concerns.
- For screening (schools, workplaces, congregate settings, etc.).
- Before and after travel (domestic or international):
- Unvaccinated persons should test 1-3 days before any travel.
- Note: Destinations may have specific testing requirements.
- All travelers (even if fully vaccinated or up-to-date) should test 3-5 days after travel.
- If you are attending a gathering with people from multiple households or other high-risk events:
- Unvaccinated persons should test 1-2 days before and 3-5 days after gatherings/events.
- Note: Events may have specific testing requirements.
If you have health insurance and need help finding your health care provider, call the customer service number on your insurance card, or view websites of major health care providers in Orange County.
HCA Self-Collection PCR Testing Kits Available to Order
- Order self-collection test kits by clicking on the red boxes.
- You must have an email account to request a kit. You will need to provide an email address for each individual test kit ordered. The email address facilitates test results.
- Self-collection test kits are available at no cost for individuals who live or work in Orange County. The kits may be delivered to OC Zip codes only.
- Home delivery test kits, include prepaid return shipping.
- Orders are typically fulfilled within 24-48 hours (Holidays may effect timing). Shipping channels are currently impacted and very high demand for testing is causing service delays in fulfilling requests.
- Failure to register, collect and send in your sample within a reasonable time may void your test kit.
- To find a FedEx drop-off location, visit https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/dropbox.html or call (800) 463-3339 to schedule a pickup.
The COVID-19 Testing provided by licensed medical practitioners is at no cost to you because third party payors are billed. Third party payors include: Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance plans, CA DHCS and/or the Orange County Health Care Agencies.
Community members with general questions related to COVID-19 can contact the County of Orange COVID-19 Hotline at (714) 834-2000. For medical questions, residents can call the Health Referral Line at (800) 564-8448.
Types of Testing
There are three kinds of tests for COVID-19: PCR/viral tests and serology/antibody tests.
- A PCR or molecular test tells you if you have a current infection. It is taken with a swab in the mouth, nose or throat.
- An antigen test is a newer COVID-19 test that tells if you have a current infection. It is taken with a nostril or throat swab.
- An antibody (serology) test does NOT tell you if you are infected currently. It only tells you if you had a previous infection and currently is not recommended for individual use. It is done through a needle or fingerstick to get a blood sample.
Resources on this page are for PCR/viral tests or antigen testing for COVID-19 in Orange County.