It’s not unknown to us that antioxidant rich foods can do wonders to our bodies and can keep us healthy. Experts find that a lot of people still do not have antioxidant foods in their diets. It’s high time to address our health concerns and eat what’s right for us! We bring to you 10 foods that contain antioxidants for a healthier and happier lifestyle!
What Are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are compounds found in foods. They prevent the body from cell damage. Free radicals cause cellular injury, which can be greatly prevented by a diet rich in antioxidants.
Oxidative stress caused by free radicals can cause several chronic illnesses, and problems like cancer, heart disease, and even diabetes.
Experts recommend food that is rich in antioxidants to be regularly consumed. Let’s have a look at the top 15 foods that you should regularly consume. These foods are readily available and taste great, so it’s a win-win situation for everybody!
20 Antioxidant Rich Foods List
||β-carotene (6.40 mg/100 g f.m.), Coliogernic acid (574.9 mg/ 100 g f.m.).
||Ash ( 1.185%), ether extract (0.169%).
||Riboflavin (0.017 mg ; 1% of DV), Thiamine ( 0.018 mg; 2% of DV)
||Rosmarinic acid (12.869% of DV) , Catechol (6.53% Of DV)
||Neoxanthin ( 72,1g of DV), β-carotene ( 35.9g of DV)
||vanillic acid (2.6 mg per 100 of DV), Gallic acid ( 5.5mg per 100g of DV)
||≥ 20 mmol antioxidants per 100 g of serving
||Gallic acid ( 165 mg of DV), Vitamin C ( 436 mg of DV)
||Avenanthramides ( 13 mg of DV), Phenolic acids ( 15.79 – 25.05 mg of DV)
||Phenolic acids ( 578 mg of DV)
Also Read: Pregnancy Foods
1. Dark Chocolate
Rich in antioxidants and other vital nutrients, dark chocolate has many health benefits and can improve your health significantly. What a tasty way to live healthily, right? Its high antioxidant content makes it a popular choice among people of all age groups; after all, everyone loves a bar of good dark chocolate!
- Dark chocolates lower the risk of stroke and heart diseases and help regulate blood pressure.
- Some studies have also observed the benefits of dark chocolate for promoting good cholesterol in the body.
Tip: A dark chocolate bar is the best way to eat it, but you can also grate dark chocolate (as much as you want) on top of your smoothies, shakes, and even salad.
Also Read: Food for Hair Growth
Walnut is rich in fiber and unsaturated fats. It’s one of the healthiest nuts and also is very high in antioxidants. Walnut also has a good amount of polyphenol content which works like a dream with its antioxidant content to prevent oxidative stress.
- This nut keeps the brain cells healthy and also helps in improving memory.
- It aids in weight management and also reduces inflammation.
Tip: It should be consumed as it is for maximum benefits of walnut.
3. Green Tea
Green tea is filled with antioxidants and has been a popular choice for a long time now! It also contains polyphenols that maximize the benefits of green tea for you. It’s good for internal health and the skin due to its antibacterial properties.
- Green tea prevents diabetes and may be helpful for people with high blood sugar levels.
- The high antioxidant content in green tea may lower the risk of cancer.
Tip: Have a freshly brewed hot cup of green tea for the win!
Pecans contain a good amount of minerals and antioxidants. It has been observed in many studies that a person’s body can absorb the antioxidants from pecans.
- Pecans help in regulating cholesterol levels and also in lowering LDL Cholesterol.
- It increases blood flow and prevents heart diseases.
Tip: Relish on raw pecans or make a spread with it! There are a lot of recipes available online.
Also Read: High Protein Vegan Foods
Oats are a healthy breakfast option and are consumed by millions of people worldwide. It’s filled with nutritious nuts, cereals, and dry fruits and is packed with antioxidants. It is also rich in dietary fiber and protein and this makes it an ideal breakfast option.
- Oats improve heart health and keep blood pressure maintained.
- Loved by people who are trying to lose weight as it is a low calorie food and helps in weight management.
Tip: Oats porridge with chia seeds and fruits on top is the perfect way to eat it. Full of antioxidants and full of crunch!
Also Read: Healthy Breakfast for Weight Loss
A kale salad is a popular favorite amongst health-conscious people. This leafy and crunchy vegetable has been an integral part of the dinner table since Roman times.
- Vitamin A & Vitamin C found in kale improves immunity, promotes bone and a healthy heart.
- High fiber content in kale can help you get rid of all of your stomach issues!
Tip: – Eat a kale salad for a healthy and fulfilling dinner.
Cauliflower needs no introduction when it comes to healthy eating; this leafy vegetable is packed with lots of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Looking to start a healthier lifestyle? Then, cauliflower should definitely be on your list of the best antioxidant foods.
- High choline content in cauliflower keeps your brain sharp and your mood fresh!
- It’s high water and low calorie content can aid you in weight loss.
Tip: – You can eat roasted cauliflower for a crunchy snack!
Plums are amazingly delicious and loved by many people. This sweet-tasting fruit also comes with lots of awesome health benefits. Being high in antioxidants makes them especially important for protecting your body from free radicals.
- Plums may help you manage your blood sugar levels
- They have been known to promote better bone and heart health
Tip – Add plums to your breakfast smoothies for a healthy start to your day.
Oregano makes pizza taste delicious but it comes with lots of health benefits. This delicious herb has been a part of some of the most amazing dishes since time immemorial. Being readily available, oregano has made its way into our kitchens as well as our hearts.
- Organo can help relieve muscle cramps and soreness.
- It can help protect you against inflammation
Tip – Add oregano to your healthy pasta for a hearty meal.
10. Goji berries
Goji berries are a unique and flavorful type of berries that have enamored people from all over the world. Since ancient times they have been used for their exquisite taste and medicinal properties.
- Goji berries can help boost your energy levels and improve concentrative abilities.
- They can be exceptionally helpful in relieving arthritis pain.
Tip – Add goji berries to your salad for an amazing snack!
This is our fun list of foods that are rich in antioxidants. You can easily find these foods on the above antioxidant foods list at your nearest supermarket. Boost your and your family’s health by stocking up on these antioxidant foods.
Antioxidant-Rich Fruits & Vegetables
Strawberries, just like blueberries, contain anthocyanins that have antioxidant powers. This fruit is a powerhouse of nutrients and contains many essential vitamins and minerals. It’s a versatile fruit and can be made and consumed in a number of ways!
- It is one of the best antioxidant rich foods and is known for reducing bad LDL Cholesterol levels.
- Strawberries are a good choice for people with heart-related issues.
Tip: Eat strawberry as a snack or slice it to include in your salad for best results.
Raspberries are a great food source of vitamin c and lots of antioxidants. This low-calorie fruit is great if you are diet conscious. You should definitely include raspberries in your daily diet if you want a longer, happier life!
- Raspberries also contain ellagic acThey contain anti- aging antioxidants. Thus, making you look and feel younger!
- They are a great source of vitamin C.
Tip: You can make a raspberry salsa along with grilled chicken and have a great lunch! The two flavors compliment each other beautifully!
Spinach is a low-calorie and food high in antioxidants. The best part is that spinach can be made in any way you like and has a rich and earthy flavor.
- Eating spinach has many health benefits, from protection against UV rays to good eye health.
- Spinach may help protect against harmful UV rays and improve our eye health.
Tip: There’s nothing like a green spinach smoothie. To boost antioxidant content in the body, blend spinach with apples and bananas along with yogurt.
They are packed with antioxidants and top the list when we’re talking about antioxidant foods. Blueberries are also nutrient-rich and have a tangy taste to them, which makes them interesting to eat!
- It contains anthocyanins that are known for reducing the risk of heart-related diseases.
- Anthocyanins have exceptional anti-inflammatory properties, and combined with antioxidants; they work great for the body.
Tip: Maximize your antioxidant intake with blueberry, have it as it is, or use it as a topping for your yogurt!
5. Red Cabbage
Red Cabbage is a unique antioxidant-rich food that includes Vitamin A, K, and C and essential minerals. It has an attractive red color from the anthocyanins and that filled with antioxidants. It’s low in calories and also an excellent choice for people who are aiming at weight loss.
- Red Cabbage promotes heart health and protects against heart-related diseases.
- It also benefits people with diabetes and helps them manage their blood sugar levels.
Tip: The best way to consume Red Cabbage is to have it as a salad or as a stir-fried veggie along with cottage cheese on top.
They are an affordable and healthy antioxidant food that is also exceptionally high in dietary fiber. Consuming beans reap impressive benefits, and many studies have suggested that eating beans may reduce cancer growth too.
- Eating beans may help reduce the risk of fatty liver.
- They contain folate. A compound that can help produce fresh red blood cells.
Tip: Cooked beans with herbs and cottage cheese makes a perfect dish that’s rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
7. Beet Root
Beetroot contains betalains, and this class of pigment has essential health benefits. This root vegetable is not only high in antioxidants but also high in fiber and many vital minerals. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help the body to ward off allergies and infections.
- Beetroot prevents digestive issues and keeps constipation at bay.
- Beetroot can help manage your blood pressure
Tip: For the most effective results, one should consume baked beetroot or drink beetroot juice.
8. Red Grapes
We can’t keep red grapes out of the list when talking about foods high in antioxidants. It also contains Vitamin C and selenium that have fantastic health benefits. They contain two anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins antioxidants that are great for heart health.
- Red grape extract is found to be beneficial for heart-related diseases and prevent chances of stroke.
- They may improve your mood and attention span.
Tip: Munch on red grapes as a healthy snack as it is. No cooking, baking whatsoever!
Broccoli is an excellent source of antioxidants and also helps in preventing oxidative stress. It contains many valuable antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin that support healthy cells.
- The high antioxidant content in broccoli prevents cellular damage in the eye.
- It builds healthy tissues and cells in the body and also protects them.
Tip: To reap its benefits, it’s best to consume raw broccoli or a roasted one.
10. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potato is a wholesome vegetable and is a powerhouse of vitamins. It contains vitamin A and also phytochemicals in large amounts. This antioxidant food has incredible health benefits that will leave you amazed.
- It may help in preventing heart diseases and diabetes.
- It is excellent for the skin and hair due to its high antioxidant value.
Tip: Cooked or boiled sweet potato tastes creamy and delicious and has all the nutrients you want!